Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Action Research Plan for Determining the Academic and Behavioral Effects of Daily Recess

I have revised my action research plan 5 times.  Yet, it is still a work in progress.  I appreciate all of the feedback I have received.  It has been very helpful.  For assignment purposes, THIS IS IT!  I can imagine changes will still be made.  The action research process is very involved and requires constant reflection and evaluation.  I have a new respect for all who endeavor to improve schools through this process.



Action Research Plan
Question: How will having 15 minutes of daily recess affect the classroom behavior and academic performance of elementary school children?
Goal:  To determine how daily recess affects academic performance and behavior in elementary school children. (Grades K-4)
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation
1.  Read professional articles to gather information about the benefits of recess for students
Teacher inquirer
March 2013 to May 2013
Professional readings
At least 5 collected/ printed Professional articles
2.  Prepare and conduct surveys of students and staff to gather data showing current attitudes toward recess.
Teacher inquirer
May 2013
Created surveys; internet survey for teachers
Receiving responses from 80% of student body and staff
3.  Write a plan for teachers to follow for conducting recess and collecting/sharing data.
Teacher inquirer
April 2013 to May 2013
Professional readings; created form for recording data
Completed written plan with easy to follow directions.
4.  Select teachers from each grade level to participate in data collection. (5 participating in daily recess; 5 with comparable student characteristics NOT participating in daily recess)
Teacher inquirer and Site Supervisor
May 2013 to August 2013
Teacher volunteers
All 5 teachers committed to data collection with full understanding of the data collection process
5.  Selected teachers will check cumulative folders for data on any students who have a history of N’s and U’s in conduct, office referrals, or bus write ups.  (Place a * by those student numbers to pay closer attention to how our study affects them.)
Teacher inquirer with 4 committed homeroom teachers and Site Supervisor
August 2013
Access to prior behavior records; documentation form
Prepared documentation to show effect of recess on students with a history of behavior issues.
6.  Accumulate recordings of recess times and activities, student conduct grades, benchmark test scores, and grade averages in reading, writing, and math.
Teacher inquirer with 4 committed homeroom teachers
August 2013 to December 2013
Recess record sheets
Completed data forms collected from all 5 teachers.
7.  Analyze data collected.  Compare conduct, grade averages, and benchmark scores from recess classes to comparable classes that did NOT have daily recess.
Teacher inquirer with 4 committed homeroom teachers; Site supervisor
December 2013 to January 2014
Benchmark test data, report card grades, and  conduct grade averages from all 10 classes
Determine the effectiveness of recess through analysis of collected data.
8.  Compare previous conduct grades of students who had a history of N’s and U’s in conduct, office referrals, or bus write ups to current grades.
Teacher inquirer with 4 committed homeroom teachers; Site supervisor
January 2014
Accumulated Documentation
Express validity of action plan with improved conduct grades for students in daily recess homerooms.
9.  Conduct surveys of students and staff showing changes in attitudes toward recess.
Teacher inquirer
January 2014
Created surveys; internet survey for teachers
Receiving responses from 80% of student body and staff
10.  Propose daily recess for the entire campus.
Teacher inquirer with 4 committed homeroom teachers, Discipline committee, and Site supervisor
January 2014
All analyzed data and professional literature
Implementation of daily recess campus wide. (The action plan continues...)




Format based on Tool 7.1 from Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools
(Harris, Edmonson, and Combs, 2010)

23 comments:

  1. This will be an interesting plan to follow. You lined it up well. I like the timeline you developed. Your data sheets will be critical for your research, but they will show you a lot of information. Good luck with your plan. Be sure to check my plan out, if you don't mind. You and I seem to be the early birds :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment, Rebecca. That has become a big challenge for me - the data sheets. I feel compelled to design them now, but I have not completed parts 3 and 4 of the week 3 assignment. Having the forms completed would help my "plan" become more visual and coherent for me. Every time I start reading, I think about my research instead of the assignment that's due. Feel like the plan IS my assignment. I thoroughly understand why it's not due until this fall.

      Delete
  2. Yolanda, this looks amazing! I think it was very smart of you to expand you inquiry to multiple groups, and to include the data from equivalent groups not participating in daily recess. The timeline you have set for yourself is very practical, I would love the idea of finishing by January. Rebecca is right, data collection will be critical, especially from your five "committed" teachers! I am looking forward reading about your progress! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariellen, you inspired me! I am continuously realizing more parts I need to include. I've already revised my plan and deleted the first one. Thank you for your comments. You have been most helpful!

      Delete
  3. I agree you have a great idea. Not sure I would want to be in the no recess class however. I do believe at that age letting them go outside and runoff a little steam is a great idea. I know as someone who can't hardly sit still as an adult, I can only imagine what I must have been like for my elementary teachers. I still hate the days when we can't get outside with our athletic kids. If we have many days in a row without being to get out in the sun I know they have at least one coach that gets grumpier that usual. We currently will alter our offseason schedule to make sure we dont miss a pretty day outside at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trey, the main reason I selected this topic is because at our school we are not allowed recess more than 1 day a week. The sad fact is, until I begin my action plan, we are ALL in the no recess class. If only we as teachers had the power to "alter" our schedule on our own, this research plan would not be necessary. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I look forward to see your results. It is so unfortunate that your students do not get more than one day of recess as it does seem to help get the wiggles out so they can focus fully on the instruction at hand. Your research will be vital to making a change at your campus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Jamie. Our entire discipline committee wants this. We developed a plan, but did not get any feedback. We are hoping that taking this route and actually providing data will bring about change.

      Delete
    2. Yolanda, Little off topic but i didn't know it you knew or not but you can change the width on your format so your plan does not bleed over across the screen.

      Delete
    3. I tried and tried, Jamie! It took a while for me to figure it out, but I finally did. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Yolanda, this is a great topic. How will you go about selecting the teachers to collect data? And which classes will go to recess? Do you feel that any parents will hinder the process and question your reasonings as to why their child is not participating? Just thinking outside the box. Good luck...and agreed...good data collection is critical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As chairperson of our discipline committee, I had already written up a plan that included daily recess. Our committee has 2 teachers from each grade level. I have already spoken with one from kinder and one from 4th and they have agreed to participate. I will represent 3rd grade. I am waiting for agreement from a 2nd grade teacher with whom I've already spoken. I have yet to speak with any kindergarten teachers. That is my goal for next week.
      I had not considered any parent input or feedback. I initially wanted to include the entire campus. That was denied by my site supervisor. I suppose she can address any parents who have concerns about their child's homeroom not being included.

      Delete
  6. This is a nice plan Yolanda. Very detailed and very well laid out. The idea of collecting data from multiple teachers from each grade was great; the more you have the more data you have and different levels, so the data will vary. I look forward to following your research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First let me say this: Thank you, thank you, thank you for choosing this topic!!! I think of all the topics I have been hearing and reading about, I am most excited about yours! I am a staunch advocate of providing students with an opportunity for physical activity. I know that for myself in particular, my brain works better, I am happier, and I feel better when I exercise... especially if that exercise is enjoyable! In fact, I always try to take a quick jog before writing any sort of research paper or long assignment. It helps to open and clear my mind. I have no doubt that this is one of the reasons for decreased student performance over the last several years. When we began to take PE and other opportunities for physical activity out of our schools, we created a very big problem for our students. Good luck on your action research! I look forward to learning about your results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Bridget! I feel fully validated! Thank you for your comments. I too feel much better after some movement. I would often take 5 minutes breaks in the classroom, but there are days when we all need to just RUN! I agree with you that there has been a decrease in student performance due to the lack of recess. Funny how in trying to improve performance by taking recess away, things were made worse. I feel empowered as I begin this study. Again, I appreciate your support.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't agree more with Bridget. I do try to like clean the house or do something physical before my mind works and how much more kids. all their energy cooped up in four corners of a room. The best way to improve children’s performance in the classroom may be to take them out of it. Playful learning leads to better academic success than the skills-and-drills approach. I think. I know that I am no expert when it comes to teaching because I am still new in this field but I do know that activity makes my brain works.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an interesting topic. I am curious, is the 15 minute recess being added, or was it longer and being shortened? Regardless, I know I do better when I get a break here and there :)
    I am sure that it will help the students getting a few minutes to reset their brains. I like how you picked a topic that should be easy to monitor. Your plan looks good. I will of course be following your research so I can see your findings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, the 15 minute recess everyday is an upgrade to our current 15 minutes ONCE a week. I wanted to make it 20, but was denied. I hope to still show improvement in student performance with just the 15. Oh, but if we could do 30!!!

      Delete
  9. I think the effects of recess is a great topic for action research study! In my personal opinion, recess is important for all grade levels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your plan. The layout is very nice and easy to read and comprehend. I like that your are looking at multiple grade levels and am curious to see which grade benefits the most from recess. It blows my mind that elementary students are not getting recess everyday. Every body needs a break especially elementary students. As an adult I try to make sure I work out at least three times a week because I have more energy and I'm in a better mood. I am very interested in your findings. Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yolanda,

    Your plan looks great! I think that it will be very fun and interesting to implement. Being a huge advocate for recess, I think that it will be cool to see the differences in scores, behavioral issues, and so forth based on the students that have recess daily and the ones that don't. I believe that exercise is a great way for students to have a mental break from the rest of the world and allows them to come back to class rejuvenated and ready to learn. Playing and exercising releases endorphins in the brain. I can't wait to continue to follow you to see what you find along the way.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yolanda,

    I moved from the north where recess is an event 2 times a day, sometimes even in snow. It was quite a shock when I got to Texas and found kids were not allowed out to play. I worked in your district several years ago.
    I remember vividly the discipline problems that occurred daily throughout the campuses I worked on because students had so much energy to burn. The days that were most successful in my classroom were the days we "snuck out" to recess or to run around the track.
    I look forward to your findings.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your research topic. Sad but a lot of schools has taken recess away from kids and expect them to be model A students. I feel 15 minutes of daily recess will help any student's classroom behavior as well as their academic performance (especially K-4th grade students. Can't wait to view your findings. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete